* African Penguins are also known as Jackass Penguins, Spheniscus demersus (Latin) and Blackfoot Penguins.
* They eat mainly fish (anchovies, pilchards, sardines, mackerel and herrings) but they also eat squid and shellfish.
| * African Penguins are about 60cm tall.
* Boys tend to be a little bigger than girls.
* They weigh between 2.4 and 3.6kgs.
| * African Penguins dive on average to 30m,
* Can dive as deep as 130m.
* They hold their breath on a dive for an average of 2.5 minutes.
| * African Penguins can swim up to 20 km per hour when hunting
* Their average swimming speed is 7km/h
| * Average life span is 10 years.
* Start breeding at aprox. 4 yrs old, and normally lay 2 eggs in a nest that is burrowed in guano or sand
* Incubation period is about 38-42 days, with the mum and dad sharing the incubation duties.
* They live in colonies on 24 islands and along the coast between Namibia and Port Elizabeth.